Considerations for SQL Server Client Alias configurations should be made prior to installing SharePoint Server. When deciding whether or not to implement SQL Server Client Aliases, you might think about these items:
- Just because you can doesn’t mean you should - what need is driving this configuration?
- Apply the “so what” test - what are the risks of doing versus not doing?
- Thirdly, it probably makes sense to have server naming conventions in place before you go and abstract things by adding one more layer of names - will aliases confuse anybody?
2. On the General tab, enable “TCP/IP” protocol.
5. Review the Network Library information on the Network Libraries tab. Click Apply and OK.
6. At this point the Alias has been created and the SharePoint installation may proceed.