When attempting to open the SharePoint 2013 Central Administration Web site, the site does not come up, and there is an error:
"Service Unavailable. HTTP Error 503. The Service is unavailable."
The SQL Server services are stopped because the domain Service Account used to run the SQL Server services is locked out. This is visible from All Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2012, Configuration Tools, SQL Server Configuration Manager.
In Active Directory Users and Computers, perform the following:
- Unlock the Service Account
- Ensure that the Service Account is not set to require user to change password at next login
- Ensure that the password never expires
- Verify Group Policies on the Organizational Unit to ensure that the account password is not being expired as a result of an effective policy. If so, change the policy inheritance on the OU.
- If possible, reboot the SQL Server or manually start all of the services that were affected by the account lockout.