When attempting to activate the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" Site Collection Feature, an "Access Denied" error is presented.
* Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > IIS Manager
* Expand the Application Pools node, locate the application pool associated with the site collection that is experiencing an issue
* Right-Click the Application Pool and select "Properties"
* Select the "Identity" tab
* Note the user account
* Start > Programs > Microsoft Office Server > SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration
* Site Actions > Site Settings > Advanced Permissions
* Click "Groups"
* Click "Farm Administrators"
* New > Add Users
* Add Users: Type the name of the Application Pool Identity account
* Give Permission: Add users to a SharePoint group: Farm Administrators
* Add the Application Pool account to the Farm Administrators group
* Send E-Mail: Uncheck (you most likely do not want to send an email)
* Click OK
* Try again to activate the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" Site Collection Feature
SharePoint - Access Denied When Enabling The Publishing Infrastructure Site Collection Feature http://www.sharepointblogs.com/george/archive/2009/03/24/sharepoint-access-denied-when-enabling-the-publishing-infrastructure-site-collection-feature.aspx